Friday, April 25, 2008

Frugal Friday

This week for Frugal Friday, Crystal talked about some frugal decorating that she has done in her home. It looks gorgous!

Despite the fact, that home decorating can be a budget buster for me. I thought I would follow her example and post about some of the frugal decorating that I have done in my home.

I have taken puzzles and framed them. The 1000 piece flag puzzle I found at Value City Furniture for $3. I put it together and then used puzzle glue(only used a 1/3 of the bottle-$1.66) to preserve it. Then I put it in a poster frame($6) and hung it. All total this piece of artwork cost me $10.66 to go into my red, white, and blue kitchen/eating area.


I also did two Thomas Kinkade painting puzzles. I got the puzzles as gifts from my parents so I am not sure how much they cost(I googled they run about $12-$20 depending on the puzzle). I used the rest of the bottle of puzzle glue. These were a bit trickier to frame as they were circular puzzles. My hubby decided to take it to Michael's and have their custom framing department frame it. He used their 60% off sale as well. He got one of the them just matted so that we could interchange them in the frame. So to get 2 puzzles matted and one framed. It cost $230. Now one would think that is a little bit much for thinking frugal but I don't think you are going to find two framed Thomas Kinkade paintings for $250.

For other ideas, resources, and tips; head over to Biblical Womanhood.

9 comments:

Shari Ellen said...

This would be a great way for me to fill all my white walls. I'm going to check out your unit studies right now.

Anonymous said...

For my kids' rooms, I have purchased 11x14 wood frames when they're on sale for $3 and then spray painted them. I put contact paper over some scrapbooking paper and then have the kids draw pictures. Rather than having them behind a matte, I just use double sided tape and put them on the paper. I have them at their eye level on the walls and each year around their birthdays, we put new pictures in and I file the old as an example of their art for the year. They love having their art on their walls, it looks cute, and it's cheap. Tara

momtofivekids said...

We use puzzles, too. Actually, I'm not a puzzle person, but my mom is! My boys helped her put together the puzzles. My mom glued it and my dad made the frames. They gave them to us as a gift. I love it! My mom has made a teddy bear one for Sophie that will go in her room.

Anonymous said...

I love puzzles. This is a good idea, if I can ever complete one I might do it!

Laura said...

Great idea! My kids would have fun with this too!

Katie Gregg said...

This is a neat idea. I just wish I had the patience to do puzzles!

Anonymous said...

Its a great way to decorate room walls and fun as well. I'll do it if I get time.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thats a cool idea of decoration. Cheap, neat and easy. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thomas Kinkade what I did a few years ago was to take one of his calendars and take the pictures out and frame them.