Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday--Entertaining


When one thinks of a kid's party it is the hostess that does all the work by making all the food and the guests come bearing gifts(that really are not needed) and eat all the food and usually the hostess is the only adult at the event. However, that can make a party quite expensive line item on one's budget. It also can be very nerve racking trying to keep them all entertained so they do not destroy the house.

So Hubby and I take a different route when it comes to having parties(or even the holiday celebrations). We invite families! This way, the kids can play together and the adults can interact together. This helps hubby and I to get to know our children's friends' parents as well not just the kids.

Okay I am sure that you are thinking how can inviting families actually help not make the party sooo expensive? It would seem to me that the party would be more expensive because there is more people, hence more mouths to feed!

Welllll the answer to your question...instead of requiring the families to bring gifts, we ask them to bring a dish to share. If it is during the summer months, we also tell them to bring meat for their family to grill.

We have plenty of food, and fellowship! Hubby and I feel that having the fellowship with friends is more important than the material gifts one receives at a "party".

Hubby and I follow the "potluck ways" even if we are just inviting friends over for dinner or for the holidays and there is no reason to party! It definitely helps to not break the bank when entertaining in our home.

So not being afraid to ask for help with meals for a gathering or "party" works for me!

To find out what works for others, head over to Shannon's blog--Rocks in My Dryer

2 comments:

Kate said...

I am so bad about this! I never ask for help, even though people offer. I guess it really is a matter of pride for me - I don't want to have help because it means I can't do it by myself. What a silly way to think though, isn't it? Not to mention it's just wrong to be prideful. :)

I think for Christmas this year I will make sure I ask everyone to bring at least one thing.

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I think this is a great idea. I always feel bad having people bring something, but I think bringing something instead of gifts is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!