Thursday, June 12, 2008

Strawberries Galore!




Here in the upper Midwest, it is starting to be strawberry season, finally!! I love strawberries! I love strawberry jam, strawberries and ice cream, strawberry muffins, strawberry desserts, chocolate dipped strawberries and even strawberry smoothies!

Since strawberries are now the "in season" fruit around here, I am going to share a few tried and true strawberry recipes.

First off, my friend, Marcy posted some strawberry recipes that she has tried, like her "Berry Freezer Jam". I haven't tried making strawberry jam myself but her recipe looks very similar to the one that my Mother used to make when I was growing up! It looks yummy, so do the other two recipes! Thanks Marcy for sharing!

One of my favorite magazines, Taste of Home, has several cool summer treats linked on their homepage! The treats are all some that I have done and they are very good!!

Another recipe that I have tried from Taste of Home is Strawberry Muffins...

Ingredients:
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled (I have even used canola oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries

Directions: In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, butter and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in strawberries. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray or lined with paper liners two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.

One other muffin recipe that I have tried that my kids seem to enjoy is these fun Strawberry Muffin Cones...

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 carton (6 ounces) strawberry yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
15 ice cream cake cones (about 3 inches tall)
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
Colored sprinkles

Directions: In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs, yogurt, oil and strawberries; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Place the ice cream cones in muffin cups; spoon about 3 tablespoon batter into each cone. Bake at 375° for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. In a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip muffin tops in chocolate; decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 15 servings.


Notes: These muffin cones are best served the same day they're prepared. Muffins can be baked in paper liners instead of ice cream cones.


Don't have time to make strawberry jam, what about making some strawberry butter!! Yummy on some wheat english muffins!

The best dessert using strawberries is my no-bake cheesecake instead of using pie filling for the topping using fresh sliced strawberries! I recommend that you make the cheesecake and then serve the fresh strawberries on the side or put the strawberries on the cheesecake when you are ready to serve it.

Lastly, a dessert that I am going to be making this year is my friend, MJ's Strawberry Trifle!! It sounds sooo yummy and it is also a no bake type dessert for the "dog days of summer"!

For other frugal tips, recipes, or resources, head over to Biblical Womanhood!!

6 comments:

Marcy said...

Sonshine - thank you so much!! I am going to try the Strawberry Muffin recipe today after I get home from the grocery.

Hope you have a great rest of the week! :-)

Marcy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sahring about Strawberry recipe.Strawberry is my favorite fruit and i like its taste.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I'm liking that no bake cheesecake recipe. Any idea how long it takes to set in the fridge.......I'm thinking it may be good for Father's Day.......

Anonymous said...

The berries are late this year and it's driving me crazy!! I am itching to can some jam, and I was just thinking I should do something else with the berries this year, and here you are with this post :)

Laura said...

I was so looking forward to buying strawberries at our farmer's market last night, but they sold out before I had a chance. All they had left was asparagus, which I love and I bought...but asparagus cheesecake just doesn't sound as yummy... :)

Anonymous said...

I got a recipe for a strawberry/ruhbarb crisp that I have been dying to try.