Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Answering Questions...High School Government Unit Study

After reading thru my Government Unit Study, Donna asked me this question…

My oldest is 9th grade and I would like to get in a good American History/Government/Founding Fathers study in, but I don't have a gazillion dollars to buy a billion books nor do I have time to research a billion places and hope I find one that's not liberal bent.Do U know of one something? One book or one site? (a free site would be great and I've already marked one or two on other topics from your blog).Thanks!

I love a challenge! I didn’t have an answer for her right away so I gave it some thought and took some time to ask questions of friends and do a little investigating. I have now come up with an answer for her!

If you want to go with a book/curriculum type item, I have been told that Notgrass is the way to go! Thanks ladies over at TeachingMom!!

You remarked that a free site would be great….I was given a link to American Heritage Education Foundation, Inc where you can get FREE lesson plans. It looks like they send to them to you on a CD if you want printed ones there is a fee. I am excited to look further into this site and use their resources! Thanks to Juditupp for giving me this link!

After talking with my friend, Joann, Our Homeschooling Expedition, she gave these thoughts along with websites on what could be done for a study. “She should be able to give him an outline or course description for him to do. She could simply list what she expects as far as notes, timeline, sites visited, and books read. I would have him do it in a notebook format. I personally like to have them read some of the old history books because they are closer to the time of the actual events and I think they give you more of a feel for the time period. Some ideas for requirements would be to write a short biography paper on each of the founding fathers, keep a timeline of events, notebook about things read from text.”

History of the United States (free)
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16960

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/9-12/index.html

http://www.congressforkids.net/

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/

American Government and US Constitution Guide ($14.95)
http://www.lovetolearn.net/catalog/category/detail/08/137

Story of the Constitution

Now for the investigating that I did on my own….welllll I didn’t come up with anything new to add, like websites or books to what the other ladies have said or offered. However, I will say that if you need some help in figuring out websites to find notebook pages to do a notebook format for this study…I have some websites that might help, one being Notebooking Pages over in my sidebar.

Donna, I hope that this helps to answer your question about a High School Government Unit Study! Feel free to ask more questions if you need more help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SUPER JOB!!!!!!

This is just what I needed!

I didn't know HF had resouces, that's very exciting!

You've added more than a 'glimpse of sunshine' to my day!!
I can't wait to put it all together for him!!

....Now, did I ever ask you about free resources online for early math like K-2?!? :-)

Thank you so much for all your efforts! Again, this is just what I needed.