I haven't used ground pork, or turkey in my cooking ever! I do use LOTS of ground beef! I usually buy two big 6-7 lb package at Sam's Club and I am able to divide it up into 10-12 meals for my family. I also love it when I can find it the leaner ground meat on Manager's Special markdown like what I did this last week so I can stock up my freezer!
The other confession I have to make is that I don't rinse my meat! You can if want but for me I can't bring myself to do it!! I can rinse off fruits and veggies but not my cooked meat. However, I do drain it well by using my strainer and paper towels.
Well enough confessions on to some recipes that I make for my family!
I love this recipe it makes a quick item to make to take to a party!
Queso Dip (This makes a quick lunch or appetizer!)
One large Velveeta Cheese
1 can Rotel tomatoes
½ pound of hamburger (approximately)
Slice up the Velveeta cheese in to a big bowl
Add ¼ cup milk
Melt in the microwave
Add ground beef and Rotel tomatoes
Stir and put in crock pot
Serve with the tortilla chips!
To make for large get-togethers I make 2 large Velveeta Cheese, 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes, and 1-1 ½ pound of hamburger.
Besides grilled burgers, here is a list of other dishes that I make:
- Tacos--1lb ground meat, a can of refried beans(or make your own), and 2 tbsp. of taco seasoning. Or instead of using beans in the meat I'll use a can of tomato soup.
- Goulash--1lb ground meat, a can of tomato sauce, 1-2 tsp. chili powder, 1-2 tsp. minced onions, 1/2 tsp. prepared yellow mustard, 2 cups of elbow macaroni.
- Spaghetti--1 lb ground meat or meatballs and a jar of spaghetti sauce. I usually will add more spices(italian seasoning, garlic powder, and minced onions to the pot. Also instead of adding sugar to the pot, I add shredded carrots. I also put this in the crockpot and let it simmer all day!
- Hamburger gravy--1lb ground meat, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1-2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce, garlic powder, and minced onions. Mix all together. Serve over egg noodles or rice.
- Chili--1lb ground meat, 1-150z can tomato sauce, 1 can tomato soup, 1 can red kidney beans, 2-3 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. garlic powder, minced onions. Mix all together. Simmer in crockpot all day.
- Sloppy Joes--1 lb ground meat, 1 can tomato soup, 1-2 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. yellow mustard. Mix altogether. Simmer. Serve on hamburger buns. In my opinion, this is better than Manwich!
- Meatloaf--1lb. ground beef (I usually use ground chuck or ground round which is like 86%-91% lean meat)
1/4- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or crushed saltines or regular/quick oatmeal
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 TBSP. minced onion
3-4 TBSP. ketchup
1 TBSP bbq sauce
1-2 tsp. yellow mustard
1/2 green pepper, chopped(optional)
1-2 medium size carrots, shredded(optional)
Mix altogether. Form into mini meat loaves and stick on a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper to "flash freeze". Once frozen, stick in a freezer bag and label!
If you do not want to freeze them uncooked, place in a 9x13 pan and place in the oven at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until done. Let cool completely before freezing!
Other notes: if the meat looks too wet add more bread crumbs/crushed saltines/oatmeal. This recipe makes tasty burger patties too! If you want to make an actual loaf, you can do that as well, I would let the loaf cool completely first then slice it into individual servings, wrap them and then stick in a freezer bag for later consumption.
- Salisbury Steak--take the meatloaf recipe and instead of forming loaves I make patties. Cook the patties. Once cooked, add beef gravy. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes.
For other ground meat recipes, head over to Frugal Upstate--Frugal Food Series!