Friday, March 28, 2008

Frugal Friday--44 Cent Sandwich

Its Friday, which means it is time once again for Frugal Friday over at Biblical Womanhood. Instead of sharing an actual frugal tip today, I decided to share with you one of my frugal recipes!! I am going to share my breakfast sandwiches recipe around my house we called them "Mom's McBiscuits" or "Mom's McMuffins"!

" Mom's McBiscuits"

1 tube of Grands Biscuits, baked (85 cents)
1 dozen eggs, cooked ($1.19)
6 slices bacon, cut in half and then cook(54 cents)
5 slices American cheese(55 cents)
2 sausage patties (42 cents)

I made these this morning here is how I put them together. I baked two tubes of biscuits last night for dinner. We ate one for dinner, the rest I cooled and put in a ziploc bag. I also went ahead and cooked a pound of bacon and a package of 8 sausage patties. Before I cook the pound of bacon, I cut the bacon strips in half. Before I cooked the sausage patties, I took the time to flatten them so they looked like mini, thin burger patties(you can see them in the pic below in the container on the left).


Then this morning I took the time to cook the eggs. I just cooked them on the stovetop(scrambled them and then let them set some before turning so I would end up with big egg patty that I cut up to fit on the biscuits) or you can do it like what Mandy does for cooking your eggs instead of cutting them into strips like what she does I would cut them into squares.

So now that everything is cooked for the sandwiches, it is just a quick assembly line. Cut the biscuits in half. Put a 1/2 slice of cheese on one side of the biscuit(I usually fold the whole slice to make 4 squares and then put 2 squares on one sandwich). Put a egg patty on top of the cheese(this will help melt the cheese on the sandwich and help to make it so the egg doesn't fall off the biscuit). Then put your choice of meat on top of the egg. Top with the other half of the biscuit and Voila! A yummy inexpensive breakfast sandwich!! This morning I made 6 Bacon McBiscuits and 2 Sausage McBiscuits, hence the list of ingredients! Only 3 were eaten this morning, the other 5 were individually wrapped and put in the fridge for later consumption!

You can also make these sandwiches with a package of 6 English Muffins($1.00). The sandwiches would cost 62 cents each instead of 44 cents. And you would only get 6 sandwiches instead of the 8 sandwiches with the ingredients listed above.

To reheat the sandwiches, stick the whole sandwich in the microwave for 20 seconds!

Side note....These can be frozen too!! Just let them cool and double wrap! You can put a frozen sandwich in the microwave and heat for 30-40 seconds! or you can let it thaw in the fridge and then heat for 20 seconds in the microwave. For other freezer meals, head over to What a Crock!

**prices are figured using sale prices for the items used, or bulk pricing as in the case of the cheese slices**

14 comments:

mom_of2boys said...

Yummy! I just got free biscuits a Meijer yesterday. My little one would love these. It might be a better choice of breakfast for me as well.

Mandy said...

Thank you for the link!

I am going to have to cook these for my husband too. I know he would love them! Thanks for the recipe- it's going in the bookmarks! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Thanks for sharing with me!

MJ

Niki Jolene said...

these look yummy..thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Those would be awesome for a morning on the go. Just microwave and be on your way. Thanks for sharing :)

momtofivekids said...

I'm going to have to make these, my kids would love them!

momtofivekids said...

In response to the comment you left on my blog: I have 2 avid readers, I'll have to make a list soon of my kids favorite books.

Melissa Telling said...

I used to make these (with English muffins) for my husbands breakfast. Now my 9 year old daughter gets up every morning and makes him one.

Thanks for your nice comments on my pupcakes. They actually were pretty easy, but VERY time consuming. My son and I made them together and we both swore we'd never do it again. They were also one of the more expensive birthday cakes I've ever done since they involved buying so many different types of candy. Just so you know. :O) But we did have fun. And they tasted good.

Melissa Telling, Lilliput Station

Abbi said...

Those sound really yummy. That might be a good idea for our breakfast tomorrow.
Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!
You certainly can get eggs a lot cheaper than we can. They are around $2 a dozen here now. Thankfully we get most of ours from my parents chickens.

Candace said...

Hubby will love these. Me too!

momtofivekids said...

Just letting you know that I did post that list of my kids favorite books.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

MMMMM... that looks good!

Ryann said...

Yep, we make these too... usually for a quick and easy dinner. My hubby likes them as well. I found a circle egg ring thing that you crack an egg into right in your skillet. We poke the yoke so you don't end up with a face full of yoke when you bite into the sandwich. We typically make these with english muffins. You might have read about the Farmlands ham over on the Walmart Deals posts on Money Saving Mom. We had gotten a bunch of ham practically free and used that on these sandwiches too... cuts back on the costs.

Thanks for stopping over at my blog and commenting on my muffin recipes!

SnoWhite said...

Thanks for the link and the tip for how to freeze your sandwiches -- great idea!