Friday, January 30, 2009

Smothered Chicken

After my friend, Sherry posted this really yummy looking chicken recipe and looking through one of my Taste of Home cookbooks to find a very similar chicken recipe, I decided that I would take a stab at creating a chicken dish that was very similar to them on my own. 


I had six chicken breasts to use and instead of pounding/flattening the chicken out, I cut it in half longwise.  I put the chicken in my skillet with about 1 tbsp. olive oil and cooked the chicken on medium high heat.




Once the juices started running clear, I sprinkled cooked real bacon bits over the pieces of chicken. I didn't measure the bacon bits but I would say that I put about 1/2 cup on 10 pieces of chicken(I kept a couple pieces of chicken plain for leftover chicken sandwiches for hubby's lunch).  I put the lid of my skillet on for about 5 minutes--just enough time for the bacon bits to heat through. 

Once the bacon heated through on the chicken, I sprinkled about 8oz of shredded cheddar cheese over the chicken. I turned the heat down to low and I put the lid back on the skillet long enough to melt the cheddar cheese.  Once the cheese was melted, the chicken was ready to serve! 

This was something really quick to put together!! I served it with french fries and corn.  A leafy green salad would have been nice too, however that got forgotten in the preparation of things! 

My family gobbled it!  I had a couple of pieces for a leftover! 

Smothered Chicken

6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut long wise
1 TBSP. olive oil
1/2 cup real bacon bits
8oz cheddar cheese, shredded

Cook chicken in olive oil on medium high heat til juices run clear. Top with bacon bits and melted cheddar cheese. 

For more delicious recipes, head over to Happy To be At Home or to Blessed with Grace!

6 comments:

momtofivekids said...

my family would love this! Have a great week-end!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

OOhh! Yummy!! Thanks for sharing!! :D Cheese and bacon are always winners at our house. LOL!

Brenda said...

I am on a low carb diet right now so I can give this one a try!

Darla said...

Great recipe - I have some bacon bits I need to use up!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yum, cheese and bacon!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Looks delicious! I'm making something similar to that this week.