Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Themed Day

A glimpse into my kitchen yesterday...

Starting to work at getting some baking done for the sample goodie trays that I make for gifts for my neighbors and for dessert at the family dinner on Christmas day.

Here is two of my boys(12yo, 8yo) working at making some fudgy buttons. This recipe is soooo kid friendly! I let my 12 yo work the stovetop part of the directions and the 8yo did the rest of the stirring and then they both worked at putting them on the wax paper. The boys had fun mixing it together and shaping the "buttons".

Here is close up of their finished product. After tasting his work, my 8yo ds said, that they taste like melted Reese's cups!

While they worked on the fudgy buttons, I did up some haystacks! These were easy to make as well!

Haystacks

1 can chow mein noodles
1 bag(12oz) butterscotch chips
2/3 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
2 cups salted peanuts(optional)

In a bowl, mix peanuts and noodles together, set aside. In a double boiler pan, melt chips and peanut butter together until smooth. Remove from the heat, and pour over peanuts and noodles, stir til combined. Drop by the teaspoonful on wax paper. Cool til hardened. To speed up the cooling process you can put them on wax paper on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for 15 minutes.

The last thing that came out of my kitchen yesterday was Amy's recipe for Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Cookies!! Yummy!! These were easy to make as well. The kids loved helping to unwrap the peanut butter cups and putting them in the cookies.

Stay tuned...there is more goodness that is going to be coming out of my kitchen this week!!!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Everything looks so delicious! Do you have the recipe for fudgy buttons posted?

I just purchased all the ingredients for haystacks today. My Kroger has the Kroger-brand large cans of chow mein noodles clearanced at 59 cents a can!

Kirstin said...

Oh, yum....those all look great!