I am not saying that not using coupons is a bad thing, it is just that I have had to become more aware of the sales and shopping more at Aldi's or Save A Lot in order to keep my grocery budget in check. It has been refreshing not getting everything that is a good deal! I guess you could say that I am saving money by not "chasing" after every item that is on sale and has a coupon making it a good deal. Matter of fact, I still have a stockpile of shampoo from a year ago when I was trying to chase every deal that was to be had each week!
For this week, I did my monthly run to Sam's Club and then just went to Meijers(twice) and Save A Lot! I had to go to Meijers twice because they had milk on sale!
Here is the breakdown of my shopping trip...
Meijer(1st trip): (forgot to take pics of this trip!)
- 6.5lbs split chicken breasts $6.50
- 4 boxes mac & cheese $3.00(1 free with 10 for $10 get 11th free sale!)
- 3 boxes brown & serve sausage $3.00
- 5 cans Old Orchard Juice $5.00
- 2 bags Doritos $4.00
- 2 tubs Country Crock margarine $4.25
- 2 bags Rold Gold Honey Wheat pretzels $5.00
- 2 loaves bread $1.65
- 1 family pack bag Tyson anytizers $6.25
- 2 boxes Cookie Crisp cereal $3.84($1.92/box)
Last week, I received a $2.50 off next shopping trip that I used this week!
Total out of pocket: $39.99
Total Savings: $32.96
- 3.02lbs bananas $1.78
- 3lbs baby carrots $3.00
- 8 cans Old Orchard Juice $7.00(1 FREE--10 for $10 get 11th free sale)
- 3 gallons Milk $6.00
- 1 box Pillsbury brownies 92¢ (had a 75¢ off Catalina coupon that expired 2/20!)
- 3 boxes General Mills Cereal $7.00
- 2 bottles Lysol bathroom cleaner $$3.00
- 1 bottle Suave shampoo FREE + an extra $1.31!!!!
Total out of pocket: $27.63
Total Savings: $23.68
**about the Suave....I got the "Suavenomics"/Free bottle of Suave product coupon in the mail the other day and I looked at the expiration date and saw 2/28/09 on it!! So instead of filing my coupon in with my other coupons, I took it to the store and used it! The cashier scanned the coupon and it scanned for $3.00--the max value on the coupon so instead of changing the price to the price I paid for the bottle, the cashier gave me the full $3.00!!!!! I guess that was my "pay back" for last week when several of my coupons just did not want to scan.
- 3.05lbs hamburger $3.02(markdown to 99¢/lb!!)
- 4 cans beef broth $1.96
- 1 jar blackberry preserves $1.99 (going to use it for this recipe!)
- 6 cans cream of chicken soup $2.94
- 3 bags egg noodles $2.97
- 1 box swiss cake rolls $1.00 (my weakness!)
- 1 gallon chocolate milk $2.49
- 10lbs russet potatoes $3.00
- 2 jars pizza sauce $1.98
Total Savings: priceless!!
Grand Total: $145.61
Grand Total OOP: $88.97
Grand Total Savings: $56.64 plus the savings from shopping at Save A Lot!
For more savings stories head over to MoneySavingMom's Super Saturday Savings or to BeCentsAble's Centsable Savings Stories.