Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday--Breakfasts





I explained a couple of months ago why I plan breakfast meals so I thought today I would share our favorite simple, healthful, and frugal breakfast ideas.

One of my all time favorites is hot, buttermilk pancakes with butter and syrup or with homemade blueberry syrup. If I don't do up blueberry syrup then taking and putting chocolate chips in the batter is yummy too! Not sure on the healthy value of the pancakes with chocolate chips but they are good!

I usually end up making these at least once a week, sometimes more! The leftovers get put in the freezer for the kids to pull out for a quickie breakfast.

Here is my Buttermilk Pancake recipe(it makes a triple batch!)
3 eggs
3 ¾ cups buttermilk
6 tbsp. veggie or canola oil
3 ¾ cups flour(I usually use 1 3/4 cup whole wheat + 2 cups white)
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. salt

Mix altogether. Cook on griddle till light brown.
**these freeze very well!!*


Notes: sometimes I will add blueberries or chocolate chips to the batter for something different.


Just in case someone wants the recipe for blueberry syrup, here you go! I got it off Mr. Breakfast!

Blueberry Syrup(12 servings)
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice


In a 1 quart microwave-safe container, combine the sugar with the cornstarch. Stir in water, corn syrup and lemon juice. Add blueberries and stir.Microwave on full power for 5 minutes or until thickened (check after 4 minutes). Stores well in sealed container in refridgerator for a week. Best to reheat 45 seconds in microwave before using. This makes a great syrup. If you like it thicker or thinner adjust the amount of cornstarch by a teaspoon.

If you were to come and visit for the week other breakfasts that you might have at my house are....

Mom's McBiscuit/McMuffin Sandwich

Banana Bread

Kid friendly Muffins

French Toast

12 slices of bread (usually use Texas Toast)
4 eggs
1 cup milk
Mix eggs and milk together, dip bread slices in the mixture and put on a 350° griddle.

There would also be a couple of boxes of cereal to choose from as well since I get such great deals on them along with some fruit and milk!

For other kitchen tips or recipes, head over to Tammy's Recipes.


Orginally posted July, 2008

13 comments:

Bird Stalker Photography said...

the pancakes look delish! I have made the knock off version of bacon egg cheese biscuit at home. It is so easy and less expensive to do!

Kim said...

I'm so glad you shared the blueberry syrup recipe. I'm going to surprise my husband and make it for this weekend. He *loves* blueberry syrup and hasn't had it in years. He's going to be so surprised! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

Blessings,

Kim

mom_of2boys said...

Thanks for sharing the blueberry syrup recipe. I love blueberry syrup (actually the only syrup I do like). Looks like pancakes this weekend!!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Yum! The recipes look delish! We love breakfast here and can't wait to try some of these. :D Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

my mouth is watering just reading about it!

Anonymous said...

Pancakes are so nice to have for a filling breakfast.

Teresa said...

This all sounds delicious...especially the blueberry syrup! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Those pancakes look delicious and I am not even fond of pancakes! lol

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

My mouth is watering! These sound absolutely delish!

Anonymous said...

Your pancakes look marvelous!
Like they'd melt in your mouth!
Yummy!

Thanks 4 the note, best wishes and prayers for your trip! and thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate U!

I looked at the links for all of those places U were going but since I had never heard of them...the names didn't stick....but I might just see if I can figure any out!:-) Thanks 4 the fun challenge!
Have a great and safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful looking recipe!

Anonymous said...

You always have just what I need!! I am trying to freeze ahead some breakfasts for the fall because I have one in young 5's and will be working in the AM. I am printing these off, thank you!!

SnoWhite said...

Thanks for the link to your recipe -- I love the blueberry syrup too :) In our buttermilk pancake recipe, I used all whole wheat, a 1:1 ratio of white whole wheat to traditional whole wheat. I was surprised at how well they worked with all whole wheat!