Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday--Loaves into Muffins



This week has been a very busy week for me along with working at finding some balance with blogging and real life so I am pulling something out of the archives!

I have blogged about making muffins instead of loaves when I make my quick breads. So for my WFMW post, I thought I would answer some of the questions that I was asked by readers like if I use liners or not, how long do I cook them, and also about storing and freezing them. First off, I do use liners, because they make the prep work that much faster! I buy the liners in bulk at Gordon Food Service Marketplace. I found just plain old white ones in a 500 pack for under $4.00.

Muffins take 1/2 the time of loaves of bread to bake. Usually I can get my muffins made and baked in the time it would take for a loaf to bake. So bottom line it takes around 30 minutes for muffins to bake.
I let my muffins cool just long enough to where they are not warm. (You don't want to put warm muffins into ziploc bags and then in the freezer because there will be too much moisture in the bag from the condensation.) Once they are not warm, I stick them in gallon size ziploc freezer bags. I usually stick what I can in one bag and then leave the rest out for the family to enjoy. :) Sometimes I will individually wrap them and then put them in a freezer bag so that they are just a quick grab for snacks or an on the go breakfast.




How long do they last in the freezer? At my house not very long! In all seriousness from what I have read muffins and breads can last in the freezer for 1-2 months. However, I have found that I can push 3-4 months and still have fresh tasting muffins! I usually will take the muffins out of the freezer, put in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and have a muffin tasting like I just took it fresh out of the oven! :)

Making quick bread muffins and freezing them is what works for me!

On a side note, if you are looking to freeze other food items, check out my freezer post for more information!


For other tips, ideas, and resources as to what works for others, head over to Rocks in My Dryer.

**originally posted April, 2008

9 comments:

GeonHui's Bakery said...

I do the same thing and this was a great reminder to check out my inventory :)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I used to do this all the time - I need to get back into the swing of things. LOL

The Daileys said...

What a great reminder that my freezer is muffin-less at the moment! I love doing it this way and my kids love them too. Got any great muffin recipes? I'm sure if I go snooping around your blog I will find them, right? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I use liners too, but lately they have been sticking to the muffins, any idea on why this is happening?
Toni

Buffie said...

I'm always making muffins and they never seem to make it to the freezer. I hadn't thought of making quick breads into muffins though. Maybe I'll try that out this weekend.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I love to do the same thing, too. It makes for less time in the oven and faster time to get eaten or put away in the freezer. :D

Jerralea said...

Thanks for sharing. I definitely want to make some muffins, now!

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Thanks for the tips! It's hubby's turn to bring in breakfast for work on Friday and I am making muffins!

Judy said...

I do the same thing! I find it easier to tell the kids to go and get a banana bread muffin then to have to cut up a whole loaf. It makes for easy do-it-yourself breakfast for the kids.