Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Taco Soup

Well I am suppose to be making Taco Soup for dinner tonight BUT dh saw the recipe that I had made up with combining a few recipes that I had read for Taco Soup that he doesn't think it will taste that appetizing! LOL Most of the Taco Soup recipes that I read had Ranch salad dressing mix(dry) in it but I knew that none of my family would eat it with that so I decided to omit it from the recipe and just use taco seasoning as the majority of the "spice" in the soup.

Sooooo I am going to post it and see what everyone else thinks!


Taco Soup

1lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 can refried beans(I have a container of homemade refried beans in the freezer I was going to use.)
2 tbsp. taco seasoning (add more to taste if needed)
1 can Rotel tomatoes(diced tomatoes with green chilies)
1 can(290z) tomato sauce
1 can tomato soup
1 can corn
2 cups of dry rice(or 3 to 4 cups of leftover cooked rice)
water to rinse out cans and for the rice

Simmer in the crockpot for 4-6 hours just basically to get all the flavors combined.

Serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese.


So does this sound good to you?? Do you think it is hearty enough to make a good dinner meal or should I think about doing it more for a lunch(which for us is our lighter meal of the day)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds pretty good. It's very similar to the one that I make. I don't think I would put Ranch Dressing it in either!

Here's mine...

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
*You can substitue Ground Beef or Ground Turkey in place of Chicken*

INGREDIENTS:
1 onion, chopped
1 16 oz can chili beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 can/bottle beer
2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 package taco seasoning
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

OPTIONAL ITEMS:
shredded Cheddar cheese
sour cream
crushed tortilla chips


DIRECTIONS
Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.

Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled then shred. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.

Miranda said...

Hi! Thanks so much for visiting me today! I thought I would let you know the Taco soup recipe you listed is almost exactly like the one I use! The only difference is instead of refried beans, my recipe just calls for a can of pinto beans. I hope your family enjoys it. Taco soup is one of our very favorites!