Monday, May 18, 2009

Queso Dip aka Spicy Cheese

I love to have ingredients on hand for quick appetizers to make up for those last minute get togethers/summer picnics or those pitch-in lunches at hubby's work that  he needs to bring something and hubby forgets to tell me until the night before or those times when I just don't feel like cooking much but the family has to eat!  

One of those appetizers is Queso Dip!  This dip is quick & easy and is loved by all!!  It is a versatile dip in that you don't just have to use only tortilla chips. You can use crackers, and pretzels.   

All you need is a can of diced tomatoes(like Rotel), velveeta cheese, some cooked hamburger(if you so desire) and of course items to dip in the dip! 

If you want this as your light meal, add hamburger to it!  If you are wanting just to use it as an appetizer or do not have any hamburger on hand, skip the hamburger and just use the tomatoes and cheese. It is good either way!  My favorite way to use this dip is making a copycat Taco Bell Nacho Supreme!

The big funny about this recipe is that I can use diced tomatoes aka small tomato "chunks" and my hubby and kids who do NOT like "chunks" of any kind of veggie esp. tomatoes in their food will gobble this dip up like there won't be anything tomorrow to eat!

Here is the main recipe that I use to make up this yummy dip!

Queso Dip 

1-2lb cube Velveeta Cheese, cubed
1 can Rotel tomatoes or diced tomatoes, undrained 
½ pound of hamburger, cooked (approximately)

Slice up the Velveeta cheese in to a big bowl
Add ¼ cup milk 
Melt in the microwave

Add ground beef and Rotel tomatoes
Stir and put in crock pot on low for 2-3 hours

Serve with the tortilla chips!

To make for large get-togethers I make 2- 2lb Velveeta Cheese, 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes, and 1-1 ½ pound of hamburger.

Notes: This recipe works well on the stovetop. Also I do not add the milk in until the cheese is totally melted and the cheese appears to be too thick!  I use the milk to "thin" the cheese out!

This post is linked at:

7 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Love queso. Does anyone have a party in Texas without a huge bowl of queso? It is just so easy and yummy! Sometimes I will change it up and add ground sausage to the mix instead of hamburger meat.

Brenda said...

This is a wonderful classic. I like it with fritos.

Anonymous said...

Love cheese dip!! I also like to add a dollop of sour cream to the cheese, it makes it really smooth. Yum!

Pami said...

I love cheese dip!!!!

Anonymous said...

MMM I love cheese dip!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Ooooh, queso!! YUM!!

Rachel said...

We use the rotel with green chilies, sausage and velveeta, too.

It's the best. No true party is finished without Queso ;-)