Sunday, March 22, 2009

Scrumptious Sunday--Corn Muffin Mix



In my effort to go to everything made from scratch, I have been slowly taking away boxed mixes of muffins or cakes(meaing not buying them any more!). So several weeks ago, I was on a quest to find a homemade corn muffin that tasted very similar to what you buy in the little blue & white box so that I could fix some corn muffins to go along with one of my favorite pantry meals.    In my quest, I tried several different recipes but none of them quite tasted that great to me. They were either too sweet or very dry or not "yellow" enough.  So I did another search online for a possible copycat recipe of the Jiffy corn muffin mix!  WHY I did not think to type in "copycat recipe for jiffy corn muffin mix" in the first place is beyond me!

With my search I found a recipe that is now a mainstay in my menu line up.  This recipe you can make ahead and even double or triple the recipe to suit your needs.  It is even an easy one to follow for the kids to help you whip up.


INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk. Whisk in vegetable oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone.

If you wish to make Corn Muffins:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine above mixture with egg and milk. Mix well.
Fill muffin tins 1/2 full. Bake 15-20 minutes.
Makes 6 muffins.

For more Scrumptious recipes; head over to Happy to be at Home's Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Swap!


3 comments:

Miranda said...

Well, I just stopped by to copy off your Chicken & rice soup recipe and am thrilled to see this one as well. I have a corn casserole recipe that I love, but I always forget to pick up one of those little boxes of corn bread mix! Thanks so much for posting this!

Tasha said...

Thank you for this! I love Jiffy but am trying to do everything from scratch as well!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oooh, this sounds delish! :D we love cornbread.