Monday, March 23, 2009

Salsa Chicken

Last week, I made a new dish for a dinner called "Salsa Chicken".  I have heard and read about it before but hadn't really found a recipe for it. 

I did some research and found that there are several different ways to make Salsa Chicken.   You can do it in the crockpot or on the oven or on the stovetop!  You can use tomatoes with chilies or you can use a jar of salsa.  You can add extra spices or you can let the spices or the tomatoes be enough. You can make it creamy or you can just leave it uncreamy.

With all the different variations it is easy to make the dish to suit your palette.  The majority of my family does not like chunks of veggies, especially tomato, in their saucy food.  So I decided to follow a friend's advice when putting this dish together.  I also decided that I was going to do a crockpot version of the recipe.


First, I cleaned my chicken pieces(I used a combination of boneless/skinless chicken tenders and breasts) and put them in my crockpot. (Sorry I remembered to start taking pics about the time I was ready to pour in the sauce!)
Then I combined one jar of Chi-Chi's Mild Salsa, one can of cream of chicken soup, and two tbsps. of taco seasoning into my blender!  Then I pureed all of it! (This was my friend's advice!--I can still have the spices and flavors of the salsa without the chunks!) OH! If you and your family like the chunks then you can skip the pureeing process. Just combine all salsa, soup, and seasoning in a bowl and dump over the chicken!
Then I poured the sauce over the chicken and cooked in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. (The picture above was taken about midway through the cooking process.)
I served the chicken on to plates and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. For my sides, I served rice and corn.   

With pureeing the sauce, it was thin and actually made a great gravy!  My plate I actually put the chicken in a bed of rice and then topped it with cheese.  It tasted very similar to having a chicken burrito without the tortilla shell!

The leftovers of the chicken were saved for a lunch and I made it into a leftover makover, I cut up the chicken into bite size pieces and heated through and made chicken tacos/burritos for the family! 

Now for the exact recipe: 

Salsa Chicken

4 fresh chicken breasts
10 fresh chicken tenders
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 jar salsa
2 tbsp. taco seasoning

Clean chicken. Blend soup, salsa, and taco seasoning well. Pour over chicken. Cook in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. 

This post is linked at: 

12 comments:

Abby said...

That sounds really tasty and EASY! I need to try it. I bet my husband would LOVE it! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Sounds good. Thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

That sounds yummy, I'll have to try it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the details! Looks like an easy, tasty meal!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oooh, yummy and easy! That is my kind of recipe!

SnoWhite said...

that looks nummy and easy! great combination.

Brenda said...

Anything with salsa is good for me!

JessieLeigh said...

Sounds very good! I LOVE chunks... hubby does not. Guess we'll have to fight it out. ;)

Samantha said...

This sounds so very good and easy to make, I cant wait to try it !
Thanks so much for sharing and have a very blessed day !

Brooke said...

this is one of our favorites :)

Anonymous said...

This chicken looks absolutely delicious. I am going to try this recipe really soon. Thank you for posting it.

Take care.

P.S. Visit Mornings With Mom, a new online magazine for Christian women.

Anonymous said...

What a great crock pot recipe! It sounds sooo good! Thanks for sharing it with us on Tasty Tuesday!
~Kim