Tammy's Pumpkin Sheet Cake(with my modifications)
16 ounces (2 cups) canned solid-pack pumpkin
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups powdered confectioner's sugar
2-4 teaspoons milk
chopped nuts, for topping
1. Beat pumpkin, sugar, and oil. Add eggs, mixing well.
2. In another bowl, combine dry cake ingredients and stir to mix. Add to pumpkin mixture and beat well.
3. Pour batter into greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool on a wire rack (in the pan); cover with a towel after about 15 minutes of cooling.
4. To make frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. Gradually add sugar, mixing well. Add milk until frosting reaches desired thickness. Frosten cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.
I am not sure what the purpose of covering the cake with a towel after 15 minutes of cooling so I didn't do it and I still had a moist cake. I found that when making the frosting, I only needed 3 teaspoons of milk for the right consistency for frosting the cake. Also, the frosting will thin out if the cake isn't completely cool! This cake definitely serves a crowd! I was able to even freeze a few pieces and they froze and thawed wonderfully!
The remarks of those that ate the pumpkin sheet cake:
- "Can I have the recipe? This cake is so moist and the cream cheese frosting isn't too strong and tastes just right with the cake."
- "Where did you find the recipe for this cake?" I would like to have the recipe so that I can make it too!"
- "This is soo good and moist! Can I take some home with me to have later!"
The other dessert I did with my Christmas dinner was Chocolate Mousse Torte, which was also another new recipe! You can read a review here!
This post is linked to: