One thing that I enjoy doing with my first grade daughter is doing Math around the house rather than always doing worksheets with a bunch of problems. I love having her help me do things around the house especially those things that include different Math concepts. Not only does it teach her math skills but I am helping her learn different life skills, which are important as well.
- Count stairs as they walk up and down them.
- Classify their toys into groups as they put them away.
- Set the table for dinner making sure that every place has one of everything needed.
- Fold washcloths and count how many they folded.
- Sort dirty laundry by colors.
- Help put away groceries by shapes.
- Let them help make their favorite dish following a recipe.
- Get out the coin jar or piggy bank to sort and count the coins to see how much has been saved.
As you can see from the idea list, there are many things that kids do every day that teach Math concepts!
What are some other every day things that you do with your kids that teach Math concepts?
This post is linked to:
- Thirsty Thursday at Five J's!