Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Uses for Plain Yogurt

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased TWO-32 oz plain yogurt on manager's markdown with good intentions of using them in my baking and cooking!

Well so far...

I have used 1/2 of a container in making smoothies when my #3 ds left the freezer door open and I had 3lbs of fruit that started to thaw needing to be used soon!

Now tonight, after years of using just butter or margarine with milk in my mashed potatoes, I have now gone to a new to me way of doing them. I used the plain yogurt in the mashed potatoes!! I have used sour cream in the past few months too and my family has commented at how much creamier and thicker the potatoes looked and tasted.

Tonight no one didn't know any different, I didn't have any fresh sour cream so I used the yogurt(without telling anyone because hubby doesn't like yogurt at all!) and the potatoes were inhaled!

Now to use the yogurt in brownies or in cookies or in coffee cakes! Oh I think the options are endless!

What are some of the ways YOU use plain yogurt?? I would love to get more ideas for using yogurt in foods!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Any time I am out of sour cream but have plain yogurt on hand I'll use it instead. No one can ever tell the difference.

I haven't tried it in mashed potatoes yet though. I'll have to give that a try.

Donna said...

I love yogurt..and smuggling it in! ;-)I use it in all kinds of baked goods(cakes, cookies, breads, muffins, ...I have a poppy seed muffin recipe that uses yogurt instead of lemon), especially for whole grains; to soak them in overnight.
I often use it or buttermilk in my mashed potatoes. I use it in place of sour cream in some casseroles, especially chicken dishes. I make dips for veggies and fruit. (Mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with peanut butter and it's great with apples.) Herbs, garlic powder, etc. for great veggie dips. Mix a little powdered sugar and cocoa and dip strawberries in...kids like dips don't they? ....Make smoothies with it and freeze leftovers fro 'frozen yogurt pops' or you might can get by with calling the cream pops since they are kinda like ice cream. Yogurt is fun!