Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Weblink Wednesday--Fun Ideas Calendar


Did you know...???

  • February is National Heart Month?
  • June was Seafood month?
  • Child Injury Prevention Week was the 1st week in September?
  • October is National Fire Prevention Month?
  • Games & Puzzles Week is November 16-22?
  • 1st phone call made on March 3, 1876?
  • April is National Poetry Month?
  • Amelia Earhart flew solo across the Atlantic on May 21, 1932?
  • National Chocolate Day is September 23rd?

I found all these "special" days, weeks, and months using the following sites:

Idea Calendar has an icon for each month that when you click on the icon you get a list of "specials" for the month.

Teacher's Vision has a downloadable/printable Educator's Calendar that you can print out with each day of the month filled with different things.

Holiday Insights has a wealth of insight on bizarre, wacky, unique type days throughout the whole year.

I used each site this past school year to put together different unit studies each month. I also added in the "Trivia of the Day" to our school day. I listed off something from the day and would have my munchkins investigate looking for more information on the trivia. You can learn alot about unusual events in history this way along with learning research skills online(oh don't worry I don't let the munchkins search without "safety search measures" in place!) and in resource books(like encyclopedias).

For other great links to check out...head over to Val's--Homeschooling with Encouragement!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I am definitely bookmarking these.

I honestly did know that it was National Accordion Awareness Month. :) One of these days I am going to get one and learn to play it!

Betsy said...

I love activity calendars!

Unknown said...

An online friend of mine actually uses theese calanders to homeschool her 7 yr old daughter...She does an amazing job!

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great links! Thanks for participating again this week.

Valerie

Mommy Reg said...

These are great! I am adding these to my favs as I prep for the coming months. And thank you soo much for all the other links. It is really a blessing to not have to search for quite as many now. :)