Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesdays








Having a pantry/stockpile is a good thing, especially with rising prices. However, knowing when to use that stockpile so as not to waste good food is a fine line that I have been learning over the last few months.

Here is my suggestions based on what I have learned....
  • only stockpile items that you know your family will eat or use.
  • put the items that are going to expire first towards the front.
  • do not buy any more items once your space is full. It will just become and look like clutter if you overfill the space!
  • take the time to use up the items before buying more items.
  • take inventory of everything so you can plan meals and snacks easily.

I am in week one of three(at least) in using up my pantry/freezer stockpile challenge so that I am not having to throw away food that is past its prime for usage. I am only purchasing fresh items(fruits, veggies, milk and eggs) and *need* items. I am not doing any stockpiling or deal shopping for the next few weeks so that I can get my stockpile to a more manageable level.

Part of my challenge is giving away/blessing others with my stockpile....I am planning on giving at least a bag to Stamp Out Hunger Campaign that the Postal Carriers are doing this Saturday, May 10th! I want to challenge you as well to do the same!! Set out a bag of non-perishable goods for your carrier to pick up to then donate to your local food bank! With rising costs of groceries, the food banks nationally have had an increase of families looking for food to help get food on the table! If you don't give to this campaign, think about donating food to your local homeless shelter or your church's food pantry.

For other kitchen tips, ideas, or resources, head over to Tammy's Recipes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is some pantry. Not only is it extensice it is very well organized. Great job. Mine is small compared to that.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have a huge pantry.

Candace said...

Oh, how I long for a pantry of my very own.
Great challenge!

taralynn819 said...

hopped over from msm and i have to say, the more we stockpile on cereal, the more cereal we EAT! you should see our stockpile of empty boxes now! :)